Tuesday 21 February 2012

Music Magazine - Development of a Contents Page

Before the initial production and development of my Contents Page for my music magazine - now named ICON! - i carried out a photoshoot with my friend to create some images to be used inside my magazine - on both the front cover and contents page.
I have chosen a monochrome and red colour scheme for my Magazine which is reflected in the photography chosen in the contents page.
Firstly, i placed an image into a double page spread on my Contents Page..




After 'placing' the image into InDesign on the left hand page of my double page spread; i realized that the picture was too narrow for the page, so i had to add a black panel on the right hand side to fill up the space. I used the 'eyedropper' tool to do this.
I then started to play around with Titles and Subheadings that related to the picture.



I then decided on the font - using the font Zapfino in Red to make an almost logo - 'inside ICON! this month' - i decided to create these words into 3 separate boxes so that i could move them around to wear i wanted them in relation to eachother; and i also used different size fonts to create a logo style heading.
I then came up with the name of my cover star (whose image is the girl on the page) and used her name (Rose Tiller) as a heading using the font szlichta07 in white; then, using the same font but in a smaller size, created a subheading relating to the star and the article featured inside the magazine. This is used to 'entice' the reader into reading further.



My next task was to then start designing my right hand side page and the actually list of the contents; including which images i am using.
Firstly, i knew i had to use a small image of the article previously created - of 'Matt' - which is the small black and white landscape image in the bottom left hand corner. 
I then chose to use another image from my photoshoot but use a different name; as if she is a different music artist to the first. 
Lastly, the top image is one from my photography experimentations with light painting - i chose to use this as it's an image created with about 5 people which i thought could look like a band. I then chose to call them 'BIRK' as someone in the image has written this with the torch, and in the 'FEATURED' part of my contents page i wrote: "hot band BIRK are let loose in our studio with light painting".

Under the heading of the magazine name, i chose to write the issue date again using the Zapfino font in red alongside the magazine title ICON!... in this heading i chose to create the ICON! title using a lower case 'i' with the rest in upper case because i liked the way this looked.

I then chose to write a FEATURED contents list - a list of all the 'featured' stars which have images on the contents page and perhaps on the Front cover (later to be decided).
On the images, i added a page number and related this back to the FEATURED contents list.
Alongside the page numbers in the list i wrote the name of the featured artist/group and then wrote a small explanation of the article/feature involving them to draw in the reader.

Next to write was the actual contents page which just lists the unfeatured articles, normally ones that feature in most ICON! issues such as Horoscopes.



This is the finished right hand page of my double page spread contents page. 
I filled in the less detailed Contents Page list - using page numbers and a small title of the featured articles.
I also added next to the landscape black and white image small text box with saying: "WIN WITH ICON! be in with a chance to meet our cover star ROSE TILLER. Read all about it on pafe 31..." again using the red Zapfino font to make it bold and draw in the readers eye.
I then created a small logo/icon in the bottom right hand corner - by literally just typing icon into two separate text boxes (using Zapfino in black) and overlapping them to create an almost 'shadow' effect. I then grouped the two text boxes today to enable it to be moved around together.


I am very pleased with the final outcome of this page and i feel that all my pictures are relevant and of high quality. My titles and headings are enticing to readers and are created neatly in well chosen fonts.

No comments:

Post a Comment