Wednesday 2 November 2011

Preliminary Task: Proposal




Target Audience:

For the production of my College Magazine I will need to thoroughly consider the target audience and how I can relate the articles and features to my targeted readers.
Obviously; as it is a Southdowns College magazine my target audience will be current students – or perhaps even a few future students – and staff of the college.
The age ranges of students are usually pretty similar – between 16-19 traditionally; however some students do come late and there are a few that have taken on extra years and subject courses within the College.
There are also the ‘mature’ students – adults who are doing part time courses to learn a skill that will enhance their CV’s and careers.
The staff age ranges are quite broad – so I will need to some research into the majority age and target it towards that.
Usually; magazines main target is a particular age group – however Southdowns college has a very varied target audience which I will need to research and accomidate to.
Also, due to the varied age groups the likes and dislikes will also be very difficult to target. I think that I will divide my magazine into sections that are targeted at Staff and Students.

Content:

I have thoroughly contemplated the content of my College magazine publication and have come to the decision to include the following articles for STUDENTS:

  • A large map of the college for new students. This will help to reduce the risk of students getting lost and also decrease the amount of late and absent students. This will perhaps cover a double page spread.
  •   A blank timetable for them to fill in their courses; when they are and what times. There will also be a section for them to fill out what homework/assignments they have been given and the due date.
  • A list of up-and-coming events and college trips – all information on the trip including the itinerary; price and whether it is compulsory for the students course.
  • A list of future exams dates and location.
  • Useful exam revision tips and tips on how to organise your homework assignments into order of priority.
  • All enrichment courses and information on these including dates; times; course leaders and notices that relate to the enrichment course.
  • All bus timetables and routes for ease of use.
  • A catalogue of all College shop items and a pricelist. Also including a small description on the location of the college shop.
  • Information on location of College Cafes; what they’re serving and perhaps a few prices of the most popular servings.
  • A few double page spreads of my Students section of my magazine will involve articles that have been written and produced by Students – be that English students or anyone else willing to submit a piece.
  • I will also include Photography and Artwork that has been produced by creative students.
  • And finally; recognition of any outstanding work, achievements or behaviour completed by Students – be that inside or outside of college.

Included in my STAFF section of the magazine will be articles such as:

  •           Information on vacancies within the college.
  •           Information on new staff joining the college.
  •           Information on staff events such as Christmas Parties.
  •           All contact details for staff and their main responsibilities.
  •          Any recognition of outstanding work/achievements completed by Staff.

Cover Lines:

Featured upon the cover of my college magazine I will obviously include Cover Lines which will be a sort of ‘teaser’ of the articles/stories featured inside the magazine.
I will also need to include ‘plugs’ and ‘puffs’ which will attract the reader and therefore entice them to read the magazine –
I could possibly include a:
“PLUS; free college timetable pull-out for every reader” in a call-out style bubble/speech bubble to attract the eye of the reader.
and another promoting the college map for the purpose of all new 
I also need to expose the titles of the main features inside the issue of the college magazine -
I feel that the main articles that the students and staff will be interested in are the articles featuring Trips and Events:
I could possibly have a large, italic print in Calibri font stating:-
"Get Your Coat; Pack Your Bag - Up and Coming College Tripsread all about it on page 12..."
Exams:
"Beat Those Exam Day Nerves - All the Tips and Tricks to help you to ace those January tests!"
Art and Photography by Southdowns students:
"Art Attack; Feast Your Eyes On The Work Of SDC's Talented Artists and Photographers"
I'm not sure if i will have any other Coverlines at this stage - this is something I will need to consider more.


Title:


I have found it very difficult to decide on a name for my college magazine publication; magazine names need to be inventive; innovative; catchy and witty - titles such as 'College Magazine' just doesn't fit the mould.
I have considered:
"College Life"
"Life at College"
"Life at Southdowns"
"Southdowns Life"
"SDC"
"Southdowns Weekly"
I still haven't quite decided though I am leaning most towards "SDC" as it's simple; eye catching and modern.
I am less inclined towards the "Life at College" and "Life at Southdowns" titles; they don't very catchy and i don't feel that readers would relate well to this publication title.


Font:


As in mentioned in my Initial Ideas post; there are many fonts i've been considering.
These including:
Trebuchet MS
Calibri
Rosewood STD - I have now recently decided against using this font as it doesn't fit the clean; simple synergy of my cover.
Courier New
Consolas
DFKai-SB
Euphemia
Savoye LET - I have now made the decision that this will be my Masthead font.


I have chosen to either use an Italic version of these fonts for my Masthead and also perhaps consider using scroll-type fonts; however there aren't any that will fit the intended synergy of my college magazine cover - so i am opting to use simple fonts and add an italic element to them. 
The fonts used for my Coverlines will be one of the fonts above; perhaps Courier New - a font that to me looks as if it has been produced by a typewriter - which will fit well with the Italic Masthead.
I will use the font DFkai-SB for the Plugs and the Coverlines subheadings.


Publishing Dates:


I am thinking of publishing my college magazine in the Autumn/Winter to launch it during the new term for A level students that have just enrolled - this means that the double page spread Map will be at its most use for recently joined students.
I also feel that it's a good time to release it for Staff - as around this period i would imagine that this is when the majority of new staff will be joining the college.
At the begining of the term is the time when students can enrol upon the Enrichment courses and although there is a Enrichment course catalogue already published - it will be good to have indepth information on them; their locations; course leaders and opinions on the courses from A2 students who have already experienced it for themselves.
I feel that my College magazine is essential for all new students - the Timetable; the bus timetables and routes; locations of the cafes and college shop; work completed by art and photography students for them to view and the previously mentioned contents too.


Cover Image/Photograph:


The Cover image i will include on my college magazine will be an image either for the first issue of the Southdowns College entrance building and/or an image of students looking happy; studious and enjoying college life.
I have already completed an assignment where i took various images of students from my media class; and students around college as well as some staff members and college facilities.
For the plans of my cover i will use these already taken shots, however for the final product I am considering taken some better frames.
I think that i will use my friends to take these images; this is due to the fact that they will be easier to arrange into shots that i feel will be appropriate for the synergy of my magazine cover. 


Frequency of Publication:


I have decided to publish my college magazine monthly - this is because i feel that the college cannot generate enough readers for a weekly publication; and also the fact that i don't believe that there would be enough information to include weekly. 
To publish it monthly; i can find out all the crucial information that needs to reach the students and staff and get it published before the first 7 days of the month.
This enables the students and staff to gather and read about all the information on up-and-coming events; exams; trips and major course assignments.


Dimensions:


I am looking to produce my magazine in an A5 format - this i feel will work better than A4 due to that fact that many people won't want to carry around a large-ish A4 publication because of small college bags.
This also means that I can use less paper - making my magazine more environmentally friendly. Speaking of which; i am also looking at publishing my magazine cover in Recycled paper - i feel that glossy paper won't fit the feel of a college magazine.
It will also make less expense for the college to produce.


Contents Page:


My contents page I am imagining to have a background of the Southdowns College Logo with the Contents listed in Trebuchet MS - Italic. I will include against some articles listed a small caption image of either the article; imagery related - such as a small image taken by a Photography student - and perhaps even a quote.
I would also like to include images of all students/staff involved in the production and publication of the magazine; their names and role within the college magazine.












This is a small plan for my cover - just showing the layout and the possible Masthead style.

No comments:

Post a Comment